WILLIAM VAN ORSDEL
Bill Van Orsdel holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Iowa, graduating in 1965 with a major in business.
In 1974, Bill along with Gary Kirke, co-founded Kirke-Van Orsdel. In years following, they co-founded KVI International, Kirke-Van Orsdel Insurance Services, CENTERMARK, KVI Aviation, KVIS of Northwest Iowa, Kirke-Van Orsdel Computer Services, Kirke-Van Orsdel Benefit Administrators, KVIS of Arizona, KVCS, Johnson & Higgins, Kirke-Van Orsdel, Kirke-Van Orsdel Management Corporation, and KVI Federal. In 1993, they acquired John O. Felker Benefit Services, in 1988 acquired Maginnis Holding, in 1993 acquired CODA, in 1996 founded LinkSource Financial Services, and in July of 1998 sold the combined companies to Marsh & McLennan, Seabury & Smith. At the time of the sale, the corporation had in excess of 2,000 employees located in six sites, including Des Moines, Washington, DC, Chicago, Seattle, St. Louis, San Francisco, and Columbia, SC.
True to their commitment to Des Moines and Iowa, Gary Kirke and Bill placed the company they had built in very good hands. Both mega-corporations have expanded the businesses and continue to offer excellent employment opportunities to Iowans. In 2000, Bill became co-founder and CEO of West Glen Properties, a Des Moines, Iowa, development company.
Bill participates in many professional and civic organizations, including the World Presidents’ Organization, the Chief Executives Organization, and has served as co-chair of various charitable and civic organizations. In 2006, he received the Association of Fundraising Executives Outstanding Volunteer Fundraising Award.
- Co-Chairman of the Annual “Gong Show” fundraiser for Lakes Art Center
- Co-Chairman – Chrysalis Foundation annual fundraiser
- Co-Chair pace setting committee – Des Moines YMCA capital campaign
- Honorary chairman – Cystic Fibrosis, “New Ball in Town”
- Honorary co-chairman – Variety Club telethon
- Chairman – fundraising, Des Moines Ballet
- Co-Chairman – Dowling/St. Joseph Foundation finance committee
- Variety Humanitarian Award
- Recipient of Business Record’s Central Iowa Business Leaders of 2006 Award
- Association of Fundraising Executives Outstanding Volunteer Fundraising Award
- Distinguished Business Leader Award
- Recipient, PIMA Legend Award
- “Spirit of Des Moines” Award
- Greater Des Moines Chamber of Commerce Federation Economic Impact Award for Excellence in Business
- Iowa Entrepreneur of the Year Award, for the financial services industry given by Arthur Young Accounting firm and INC. Magazine
- Recipient, Iowa Society to Prevent Blindness’ Person of Vision Award
- Recipient, Heart Award for Variety Club International
- Honorary Salesman of the Year by the Sales and Marketing Executives Association of Central Iowa
- Recipient, Variety Club’s Humanitarian Award
- City of Des Moines, Citizen of the Year Award
Bill Van Orsdel is married to Wicker, has six children and lives in Des Moines, Iowa.